Friday, January 16, 2015

Vegetarian Sweet & Spicy Stir Fry






I'm a girl who loves veggies.

I'm also a girl who adores noodles.

I don't need no stinking meat! 

(Don't panic... I do eat meat... and I even enjoy it sometimes... but, I could easily be a vegetarian if I wanted to. Meat has simply never come close to being at the top of my favorite foods list. Filet Mignon? Puh... given a choice, I would never choose that.)

However, if you happen to give me large amounts of brightly colored vegetables, noodles, and a delicious sauce, I'll be in heaven. 

So, in keeping with the spirit of my inner-vegetarian, I wanted to share this dish with you today. 



Just look how pretty! The mushrooms were clearly on their way out, but they definitely added to the dish.




Linguine may seem an odd choice for a stir fry dish. That's because it IS odd. But it works. My favorite version would use rice noodles, but I didn't have any on hand this particular day. Plus, linguine is a less expensive option.




Soy sauce, brown sugar, a little bit of sriracha, ginger, and garlic... what's not to love? The sauce is super tasty.  

This dish comes together extremely well. 

The carrots, onions, red bell peppers, snow peas, and mushrooms add flavor, depth, and texture to  linguine topped with a lightly sweet and spicy sauce. Garnish with cilantro, scallions, and sesame seeds, and you might just be staring at one of the most beautiful dishes you ever beheld. 

If I'm being honest, this is not a dish my kids will eat. 

It's much too colorful. 

But, I could (and do) eat it for days. This dish is just my style. 

Enjoy!



Vegetarian Sweet & Spicy Stir Fry
Printable Version

*Serves 4

(Note: You do not have to use the exact vegetables I listed. Use what you have, or what you love. It also doesn't HAVE to be a vegetarian dish. Throw in some chicken if you want to add a little more 
protein to the mix.)


INGREDIENTS
1/2 package linguine (I prefer rice noodles if I have them)
1 red pepper, sliced
1/2 cup mushrooms, sliced
1 cup carrots, sliced
1/2 small onion, sliced
handful of snow peas
1 Tbsp. olive oil

SAUCE
1 Tbsp. sesame oil (or whatever you have)
1/2 cup low-sodium soy sauce
3 Tbsp. brown sugar
1 1/2 Tbsp. sriracha sauce
1 tsp. ginger powder
2 cloves garlic
2 Tbsp. cornstarch

*garnish with cilantro, chopped scallions, and sesame seeds



DIRECTIONS
Slice all the veggies as directed. Set aside.

In a small bowl, combine all the ingredients for the sauce. Whisk together till thoroughly incorporated.

Boil the linguine in a large pot as directed until al dente. Drain and set aside.

While the linguine is boiling, heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium high heat. Add the sliced carrots and snow peas to the skillet. Stir-fry for 2 minutes. Add the remaining sliced vegetables. Stir-fry until veggies are crisp-tender. Add the linguine and the sauce. Stir-fry until everything is combined and the sauce has thickened slightly.

Remove from heat. Serve immediately. Top with cilantro, chopped scallions, and sesame seeds if desired.





1 comment:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...