Monday, January 19, 2015

Free File for 2014: Federal and State Taxes FREE Online






I love getting stuff for free.

Ya know?

It's just nice...

With tax day around the corner (April 15th), I've been getting my tax information together in preparation for filing our 2014 return.

Over the years, I've loved that I can file my federal taxes for free online and pay a smallish fee for the state returns. It's easy, it's convenient, and if you need help, you can do an online chat to ask questions while you file.  Tax Hawk has been my go-to place for filing our taxes for years.

Up until now, I've NEVER seen an option to file both federal and state taxes online for FREE.




TurboTax is changing that this year by offering to do all Federal and State 1040EZ and 1040A forms FREE.

There are some qualifications you have to meet in order to be eligible to file these two forms. You can check out the requirements here, or take a peek at the summaries below.

You might be filing a 1040EZ form if:

1.) You have no dependents

2.) Your taxable income is under $100,000 and doesn't come from a business you operate as a sole proprietorship

3.) You are not claiming any adjustments such as IRA contributions, or student loan payments made, and not claiming any credits apart from the EIC (Earned Income Credit).


You might file a 1040A form if:


1.) Your taxable income is under $100,000 and doesn't come from a business you operate as a sole proprietorship

2.) You are claiming the standard deduction instead of itemizing


If you are self-employed, need to itemize deductions, or have over $100,000 in taxable income, you'll be filing a 1040 and/or other forms, and won't qualify for the 1040EZ or 1040A forms.

If you DO qualify for the two forms listed above, then congratulations! You can save anywhere from $9.99 - $27.95 on your state return!





1 comment:

  1. I have filed two years free using them. I have to go through the Missouri state site-but-both free!! This will be my third year!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...