Saturday, February 8, 2014

Mango Salsa





When I lived in Illinois, I used to shop at a Kroger store.  They could generally be counted on for their "manager specials." For me, this usually meant marked-down meat... but occasionally baked goods, milk, and other products that were due to expire soon. 

One day, I arrived at Kroger on the hunt for some mark-downs. When I hit the aisle of bagged salads, containers of pre-cut veggies, and bowls of pre-cut fruit, I found one lonely little container of mango salsa marked down to $0.79. 

I'd never tried mango salsa. 

Time for an adventure! 

I happily made my purchases, mango salsa included, and tried to decide what the heck I was going to do with it, as I buckled three very wriggly children into their carseats, loaded my groceries into the back of my super-stylin', paint-peelin', minivan, and drove home.

Well, apparently my creative juices were drained that day. 

I settled on tortilla chips.

And boy, howdy, was it YUMMY! I think I left a tiny bit for my husband to try... maybe... possibly... or not. (Sorry, dear.)  Don't worry, he eventually got to try it. 

The combination of perfectly ripe, freshly diced mangos, cilantro, red onion, jalapeño, and lime was heaven! The ingredients were so simple, but the flavors worked perfectly together. 

I just had to make it myself. 

I did. 

It was a raging success! I've been making it ever since.

Obviously, this salsa is more suited for summer... but the thing is, I'm READY for summer to get here already!

Winter = Blech.

Summer = Happiness.

This past week, I was craving a bit of summer... and this mango salsa totally hit the spot. The only down-side was when my 2-year old "helper" helped herself to a couple jalapeño seeds. 

Bloody. Murder. That's all I'm going to say.

If you're looking for a fun way to add flavor to grilled chicken, fish tacos, or just a different condiment for your tortilla chips, I've got just the thing.



Mango Salsa
Printable Version

*Makes approx. 2 cups


INGREDIENTS
2 large mangos
1 small jalapeño
3-4 Tbsp. cilantro leaves
1/2 small red onion
1 lime
salt to taste (about 1/4 tsp)

*you may also add a dash of black pepper if desired.


DIRECTIONS
Peel mangos. Seed the jalapeño. Discard the seeds (unless you want to experience "fire-mouth"). Chop and dice the mangos, cilantro, onion, and jalapeño. Cut the lime into quarter sections. Squeeze the juice over the salsa. Add salt to taste.

Option #2: Peel Mangos. Seed jalapeño. Discard the seeds. Cut the lime into quarters. Put all ingredients into a food processor except the quartered lime. Squeeze the juice from the lime quarters over all the ingredients. Chop in the food processor.

Serve with chicken, fish, black beans & rice, or on chips.



3 comments:

  1. Your 2 year old helper story had me laughing, and also the "fire mouth" comment. Haha. I love mango salsa and I love your blog. I'm going to go make me a batch of pancakes to freeze in just a little while. Can't wait to try the salsa the next time I have some mangos!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Evelania,
      I'm glad I made you laugh. :) Let me know how you like the salsa!

      Delete
  2. I make this same salsa but with a peeled, seeded cucumber diced and mixed in. Its my go-to potluck contribution and the most frequently requested recipe!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...