Saturday, January 11, 2014

{Slow Cooker} Spicy Peanut Chicken





When we were living in southern Illinois, we made some pretty awesome friends. One of those amazing friends introduced us to this dish: Spicy Peanut Chicken.

When she told me what was in it, I balked. I'm not going to lie.

Peanut butter?

Honey?

...Okaaaaaay..... weirdo....

But then she served it to us....

Holy. Cow.

It was amazing. And delicious. And an instant favorite of my husband and myself.

Adding to the many qualities of this dish is the fact that you can throw all the ingredients in the crockpot, and forget about it. So it's super easy, perfectly economical, and SO YUMMY!!!!

Give it a try... I gauruntee you'll be pleasantly surprised.



{Slow Cooker} Spicy Peanut Chicken
Printable Version


*Serves 8-10


INGREDIENTS
4 chicken breasts
1 (28 oz) can petite diced tomatoes
1/3 cup peanut butter
2 Tbsp. honey
1 1/2 tsp cumin
1 tsp salt
1/4 tsp black pepper
1 tsp. red pepper flake (less if you want milder spice)

*cilantro, coconut, and peanuts for garnish



DIRECTIONS
Combine all ingredients in a slow cooker. Cook on low for 6 hours. After cooking, shred the chicken with a fork.

Serve over rice. Store in the refrigerator up to 4 days in an airtight container, or in the freezer for 4 months.


10 comments:

  1. I am intrigued. Pretty sure it will be delicious! :o)

    www.dressupnotdown.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds tasty! I bet this would be yummy with pork loin roast or shoulder too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I tried this today and it was delicious!! I have been meaning to post here also to tell you how much i love all your recipes! I have made your soups, breads, and make the pizza dough and pancakes all the time! You have truly inspired me! Thank you! ---Shawna

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for you kind words, Shawna! You know how to make a girl feel good. :) I'm so happy that you've enjoyed my recipes.

      Delete
  4. If I'm using chicken tenderloins instead of chicken breasts, would I need to adjust the cook time?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd go for 6 hours. :) Good luck!

      Delete
    2. Andrea, 6 hours on low was perfect for the tenderloins. This dish was SO good! Thanks for sharing so many affordable and delicious recipes on your site--we use so many of them all the time!

      Delete
  5. This was so good! I was a little nervous before I tasted it, but I will definitely be making this again. Since we try not to eat a lot of meat, I subbed tofu for the chicken, and it turned out great. (I baked the tofu before I added it to the slow cooker.) Thanks for the easy, delicious recipe!
    -Laura

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have made this recipe 5 times since you posted it! After the third time, I got to thinking, this reminds me of Indian food kinda, I bet it would be good with other vegetables. So, the last time I made it Is substituted in chickpeas (garbanzo beans) for 100% of the chicken. It was very good, economical, and still had plenty of protein! Today I made it with potatoes substituted for 100% of the chicken. It also turned out really yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I made this as a freezer meal while pregnant with my daughter (who arrived 2 weeks ago!) and just cooked it today. Both my husband and I loved it! Thanks for sharing! Looking forward to trying more of your recipes.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...