Saturday, July 27, 2013

Soft Glazed Donuts






Be still, my heart...and belly!

Hot, fresh, glazed donuts are perfect for satisfying the sweet tooth of this 6-months pregnant lady. They are the bee's knees, I tell ya.

And before you protest at the word "donut", let me just say:

I KNOW.

I know that these are not healthy... not even a tiny bit... that much is obvious the minute I bite into one: the smooth, sugar glaze crackles, my teeth sink into the super soft, pillowy-goodness of the warm donut, and magic occurs.

Not. Healthy.... But, oh, so good!

Why are they soooo darn good?!?

Because of all the fat, obviously.

... And sugar.

Did I mention I was pregnant??

Anyway, I made these for my (super-hunky-adorable-manly) husband's birthday yesterday.

HAPPY 32nd BIRTHDAY, you luscious man, you!

Turning 32 called for a very special treat! (Plus we celebrated with cake AND pie AND ice cream with his family on Wednesday.) I decided these donuts would fit the bill perfectly. It needs to be said that this in not a knock-off of Krispy Kreme... there are about a million different "copycat" recipes out there. This recipe is a stand-alone, and it is amazing!

So, I whipped up a whole heapin' big bunch of 'em.

That's country speak for "a lot."

The only tricky part about making these donuts is keeping little kidlet fingers from snatching them before they've had a chance to cool for even two seconds... or maybe that's just my kids... who will look at me with huge innocent brown eyes... and try to deny it... WHILE they lick their sticky fingers.


... Oh, yeah.

I decided to do cinnamon-sugar donut holes, too.

Sweet. Blissful. Sugar rush.




The recipe?

Of COURSE, I'll share it with you!

You can all gain pregnancy sympathy-weight with me, while I grow this little man.

You guys are the best!



Soft Glazed Donuts
Printable Version

*Makes approx. 24 donuts AND 24 donut holes


INGREDIENTS
2 Tbsp. active dry yeast
1/4 cup lukewarm water
1 1/2 cups lukewarm milk
1/2 cup sugar
1 tsp. salt
2 eggs
1/3 cup shortening
5-6 cups all-purpose flour
1 quart canola oil for frying

Glaze
6 cups powdered sugar
1/3 cup milk
1/4 cup salted butter (melted)


DIRECTIONS
In a large mixing bowl (or standing mixer) combine the warm water and yeast. Let sit 10 minutes until bubbly. Add the warm milk, sugar, salt, eggs, shortening, and the flour (starting with 5 cups). Mix thoroughly, adding additional flour as needed until the dough pulls away from the sides on the bowl, and the dough is elastic and smooth; 6-8 minutes. Cover, and let rise until doubled: 60-90 minutes.

On a floured surface, roll the dough to 1/4 - 1/2 inch thickness. (Just depends on if you like thicker or thinner donuts.) Cut into desired shapes. (I use a drinking glass, and the lid from the salt shaker... fancy gear, I know.) Roll out extra dough, and cut into desired shapes, or use for donut holes. Cover, and let rise about 30 minutes.

While the donuts rise, prepare the glaze by combining the melted butter, milk, and powdered sugar in a large bowl.  Whisk until smooth. Set aside.

Place a wire rack on top of a cookie sheet. Set aside.

In a large, deep, skillet, heat the oil to 325 degrees (not quite the "medium" setting on the stovetop.) Fry the donuts until lightly browned on each side. Using a slotted spoon or spatula, retrieve the donuts, allowing the extra oil to drip back into the skillet.

Place the donuts into the glaze bowl, and coat them entirely in the glaze. Set onto the wire rack, allowing the excess glaze to drip off onto the cookie sheet.

Serve immediately, or allow to cool ad store in an airtight container. Best when eaten within 3 days.

**Alternate options: Coat donuts in a cinnamon-sugar mixture, add lemon extract, almond extract, or any number of flavors to the glaze, or fry the donuts in rectangular shapes, add more powdered sugar and maple extract to the glaze, and have maple bars.

18 comments:

  1. Oh my, I've never made donuts (although I've had homemade ones before) but these look divine! Wish I could eat through the screen. :) Way to celebrate the man!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lydia, you should give these a whirl. The first time making them is a tad time consuming, but after that, it's a breeze. :)

      Delete
  2. Best if eaten within three days? LOL...mine wouldn't make it past one, how could we compare? Wonderful post! Now I wanna donut!

    Lyn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lyn, it sounds like you and I are of similar minds... however, I'm sure there are SOME people in the world with more self control than I have. Hence the three days. Thanks for stopping by the site!

      Delete
  3. So happy you shared your super sophisticated donut making equipment! The last donut recipe I read left me needing to buy new kitchen junk, but a glass and salt shaker lid...those I have. :o)

    www.dressupnotdown.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. These were delicious. My husband said they were better than Krispy Kreme. I know what you mean about the little fingers getting to them. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. These were so good. My husband ate 3! My five year old son said that he loves them more than anyone else. Lol. Now, they insist that I make them again.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I really wanted to make these soon, but I don't have shortening on hand. Can I use butter in place of the shortening? Thanks :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, you can, but the consistency of the donut will be slightly different. Good luck!

      Delete
    2. Okay, I might just get some shortening then. :) I don't want to alter any of your recipes one bit. Everything I have tried has been just fabulous. We made the hamburger buns today and I was just blown away with the perfect deliciousness. Thanks for answering my question so quickly! Appreciate it. :)

      Delete
  7. Absolutely fantastic recipe, made them for my daughters birthday this morning and had enough to take across the street to my parents. They were gone before I hit the door on the way back to find my wife and daughter with their faces covered in the dark chocolate glaze I'd made. Thank you for sharing!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so happy you enjoyed them! Dark chocolate glaze sounds awesome... :)

      Delete
  8. Just wondering if youve tried filing them? I love custard filed ones and my kids are all about jam:) love the site, I've learned loads!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nope, I never have... but that would be delicious! I love bavarian cream-filled donuts. :)

      Delete
  9. Hi Andrea, can this dough be frozen?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Andrea, I would love to make these but have a question. Is the shortening melted or cut into the flour? I wasn't sure how to incorporate it into the batter properly. Love your site!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great question! This is more like bread dough than batter...You can cut it in, or just mix it in. The dough is not so temperamental as pie crust, but melted shortening would change the consistency of the dough. Hope this helps!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...